LA woman on a quest to eat her way through Los Angeles

Thursday, May 6, 2010

FAVORITE THING: Mendocino Farms

It's been awhile. Technology has encouraged my inconsistent blogging. It's much easier to spread the word about a great meal or a new restaurant via Twitter. I know I've said it before, but I'll try to do better.

My last blog post was about Mendocino Farms. Since that time, I've eaten there a few times. Each time, I tried a new sandwich. I've loved each one. My only complaint is that the sides are just OK. But, honestly, it's all about the sandwich.

I've tried:

Kurobuta Pork Belly Banh Mi- Take on the Vietnamese sandwich with caramelized cubes of delicious kurobuta pork belly, pickled daikon and carrots, cilantro (hate it, but works), cucumbers, jalapenos, chili aioli on panini grilled ciabatta. This sandwich was AMAZING! Seriously. I couldn't finish the entire sandwich for dinner and ate the rest the following morning. It was even better. Everything just works. The heat is not overpowering. You also have the daikon (which I LOVE)and cucumber to provide a refreshing end. I could eat one everyday. It's that good.

A French Onion Soup Melt -smoked gouda-gruyere fondue with caramelized onions, panini pressed on Dolce Forno pretzel roll. Yum! I also added the homey ham to this sandwich. I have a love hate relationship with caramelized onions. I mean, I love them, but they can be a bit much at times. It's the issue I have with French Onion soup. I love it, but sometimes it's a little too sweet. Cheese was nice and gooey. The bread was AMAZING. Good sandwich. It's on the Spring menu, so it's only around for a limited time.

Chicken MBT -roasted chicken, mozzarella, basil pesto, tomato, balsamic vinegar, and greens on ciabatta. This is a sandwich I often make (well,I switch out the tomato for roasted red peppers). So, it's a fav. This version was tasty, but unremarkable when compared to the others. I almost forgot I had it. Also, I prefer hot sandwiches.

Blue Buffalo, Not a Blue - roasted chicken in buffalo sauce, blue cheese cabbage slaw, tomato, fried onions on panini grilled ciabatta. Although, I love these flavors I was a little unsure. But, it was tasty. My fav part was the blue cheese cabbage slaw. I only had it one other time and really enjoyed it. The big drawback is that the sandwich was REALLY messy. So, it was good, but I'm cool.

PB^3 - Crunchy PB, Honey Roasted Almonds, caramelized Bananas, and Applewood Bacon, on Ciabatta. Oh, and on one occasion, my sandwich had green apple. This sandwich was the April secret sandwich. I'm a little upset that it's not available anymore. It was really, really a great sandwich. It had a lot going on, but it ALL worked.

Oh, and let me not forget the other awesome thing about MF...the Boylan’s sodas. Specifically, the diet Black Cherry. Delicious! It's such a cool idea. Honestly, who wants to drink a Sprite while eating one of those amazing sandwiches? Not me.

They are now at three locations: FYI; the Grand location is difficult.
444 S. Flower St, Downtown LA, 300 South Grand Ave, Downtown LA, and 4724 Admiralty Way, Marina del Rey

No comments: