LA woman on a quest to eat her way through Los Angeles

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

My Japanese Breakfast at Fukagawa in Gardena


One of my food groups is in the midst of a series, "Ain't Always Eggs and Bacon". Basically, we are exploring various non-American breakfast spots. They previously went to 3 Square Cafe and Bakery in Venice (German breakfast). Due to my schedule, I was unable to join them. However, I can vouch for the great food at 3 Square. I had very yummy corn pancakes, poached egg, smoked salmon, and fruit. Also, after wandering into the bakery, I was able to sample my friend's triberry scone. I was rather annoyed by her going on and on about this scone. I mean, I like scones, but how good can a scone be? Apparently, a scone can be amazing. Seriously, after one taste, I coveted the scone. I actually talked about this scone for a good week.

But, I digress. Back to Fukagawa. Breakfast at Fukagawa consists of four specials.
The basic (Combo A) is a bowl of rice, miso soup, Japanese pickles, seaweed, an egg (hard-boiled, raw, or tamago) and a small dish (perhaps a potato croquette, boiled spinach or tofu). Combos B-D just add on to the items in Combo A. See all combos below:

Combo A:
Rice, miso soup, small dish, nori (seaweed), pickles, and an egg.

Combo B:
Combo A + Natto (fermented soy beans)

Combo C:
Combo A + fish (grilled Aji-spanish mackerel, Saba-mackerel, or salmon) or steak

Combo D:
Combo A + Natto + fish or steak


Since, it's not everyday that I have Japanese food for breakfast, I decided to get Combo D. My final order consisted of a bowl of rice, miso soup, Japanese pickles, nori, a raw egg, a tofu small dish, a bowl of natto, and grilled salmon with a side of grated daikon radish. It was quite a bit of food.

The miso soup was good. However, there were so many other things to concentrate on, that it became an afterthought. This was also the case for the pickled cabbage. As for the salmon, it wasn't my favorite. I found the grilled salmon a little overcooked and dry. Based on information from our group organizer and yelp.com readers, there is a special way to eat the rice. You mix a raw egg and soy sauce in the rice. The steaming rice partially cooks the egg and you end up with a delicious dish. I love steamed/runny/poached eggs, so I decided to try it. However, as it turned out, my rice was not as hot as I expected. So, I did not have the desired outcome. Still, I enjoyed the taste of the egg, soy, and rice. It was different. The tofu dish was very nice. There were two large pieces of tofu in a very flavorful broth. The dish was accented with shaved bonito flakes and green onion. I really enjoyed it. Oh, let me not forget the natto. Hmmm, what to say. I came to natto with an open mind. Even as one of my Japanese dining mates went on about how much she disliked it. The natto arrived with a raw quail egg in the center and topped with green onion. There was also a little bit of spicy mustard on the side of the bowl. As I attempted to stir in the ingredients, the natto began to foam and spiderweb like strings developed. The more I stirred, the more it bubbled. I finally decided to bite the bullet and just taste it. Remember, I have an open mind. Well, after one taste of natto, it was officially closed. The taste was akin to a teenaged boy's dirty gym sock. It was without a doubt the most unpleasant thing I have ever eaten. I strongly believe in second chances, but I think it's a wrap for me and natto.

Overall, an interesting experience.

No comments: