LA woman on a quest to eat her way through Los Angeles

Friday, October 10, 2008

Late Night Stop at Pizzeria Mozza


Osteria and Pizzeria Mozza. *sigh*

I've wanted to visit both establishments since they opened. Moreso, Osteria Mozza. However, I was frightened away by all of the horror stories surrounding getting a table. I'm not one who really likes rejection, so I've put a much-needed visit on the back burner indefinitely. I've heard that Pizzeria Mozza gets pretty packed as well. The lines forming outside the entrance as I pass the restaurant on the way to the Arclight only confirmed the talk. Since, I'm not into standing in lines; I've put that off as well. That is...until recently.

After a happy hour drink at J's Lounge and a couple of cocktails (and more cheese than I care to admit) at an event on Sunset, my hunger overcame me. While trying to decide where to grab a late night bite, I summoned up a little courage/

"I want to go to Pizzeria Mozza"

I figured its 10pm on a Thursday; surely, I can get in without waiting. After the short trek over to the restaurant, I opened the doors and saw a packed (and quite lively restaurant). Semi-defeated, I asked for a table and luckily the host pointed to two chairs at the bar. I grabbed them quickly and thanked God for loving me. As soon as I sat down, three other parties came in and had to wait. Score!

It's totally as cute as can be. The reds, orange tones, and dark wood. The decor certainly added to the warm and intimate, yet lively feel of the restaurant. The table setting was an adorable paper placemat chock full of pizza trivia (I LOVED that! BTW, did you know that those crazy Costa Ricans favor coconut on their pizza?). The silverware was presented in an adorable little paper bag. Adorable, just adorable. One of the things I loved most about Pizzeria Mozza was the thoughtful touches. There were hooks under the bar to hang my purse. There was a little foot rest that prevented my legs from dangling all night. The wait staff was phenomenal. True professionals. My water glass was never empty. They were attentive. They gave helpful suggestions. In short, they were the epitome of awesome.

I had the insalata mista to start. It was a simple salad of mixed greens and a light, sweet dressing. But, salad is salad. At Pizzeria Mozza, it's all about the pizza. I selected the Speck, bufala mozzarella, olive tapanade & oregano pizza. The waiter informed me that the items were added to the pizza after the dough was cooked. I admit, I was a little put off by that. I mean, come on! I was dreaming of gooey, hot mozzarella. There's nothing better than that! But, I absolutely love everything on the pizza, so I ordered it anyway. It was really good, but still a little different and surprising. The pizza crust was delicious and extremely flaky. I thoroughly enjoyed eating every bit of it. The cheese was nice and soft, elevated by a little dollop of tapenade atop each piece. With the addition of the deliciously generous slices of speck (smoked prosciutto) and fresh oregano, the flavors melded together to form a truly delicious pie. Full, from two consuming two pieces, I decided to take the remainder home. While, I found the hot and cold aspect interesting and still enjoyed the flavors, I'm looking forward to popping it in the oven for a few minutes and enjoying it hot.

As mentioned before, I've heard a lot of "talk" about Pizzeria Mozza. In all of the talk, there was one item that was mentioned time and time again. The Butterscotch Budino. Although, I was full, my inner foodie would not let me go without tasting it. That's not to say that our waiter didn't prod us a bit. The couple next to us ordered the budino. The waiter asked us to watch them take their first bite. If we were on the fence, their reaction would seal the deal. It did (not that I needed much convincing). The dessert arrived in a glass. The majority of it filled with a deliciously smooth and creamy butterscotch pudding. It was a serious pudding. Not that overly sweet stuff that you often find. Sitting atop the pudding was a dark, sticky caramel sauce. The dish was finished by a dollop of whipped crème fraiche and fleur de sel. I loaded my spoon, making sure to get all of the elements of the budino. It was simply sublime. I guarantee I will have dreams about that dessert. It also came with a couple of tiny rosemary pine nut cookies. The cookies were savory and a nice accompaniment to the budino.

So, in short…I enjoyed Pizzeria Mozza. At the end of the meal, the waiter asked for our opinion of the dessert. As we sang the praises of all things butterscotch and caramel, he made a statement that mirrored one of my cardinal food beliefs, “If you are going to eat something, it should be good. Don’t waste a meal on bad food." His statement only served to confirm what I already assumed about Pizzeria Mozza. It’s a place where people who love food can enjoy simple food done extremely well. Their love and respect for food is very present. You find it in the décor. It exists in the staff. It’s present in the people dining there. But, it’s especially there in the food.

Pizzeria Mozza
http://www.mozza-la.com/pizzeria/about.cfm

No comments: