LA woman on a quest to eat her way through Los Angeles

Friday, October 10, 2008

Endless Summer Barbecue Sunday's at Ford's Filling Station


Last Sunday, a friend and I decided to go to Ford's Filling Station for dinner. My last visit was earlier in the summer with one of my food groups. The outing was a progressive dinner, and the organizer chose Ford's for our 1st course. The memory of all of the wonderfully prepared dishes led me there. I had to stop myself from salivating at the thought of their simple, yet delectable flatbreads (white shrimp and jamon serrano were superb). How could I forget their lovely roast beef salad? Because I enjoyed so many dishes during my last visit, I had no idea how to settle on one dish with visions of all of their yummy food dancing in my head.

Luckily, my "dilemma" was resolved rather quickly. Much to my delight, I found that in addition to the tasty regular dinner menu, Sunday was Endless Summer Barbecue Sunday! Since September 21st, Ford's has offered a special barbecue menu at dinner. For only $18, you have your choice of two meats and two sides. There was no way I could pass up that deal! The meat selections were numerous. There were pork ribs, pulled pork, chicken, sausage, and beef brisket. The side dishes selection was also quite nice. The choices included Tuscan cabbage, succotash, heirloom tomatoes, corn on the cob, and a few other items.

I selected the brisket, pulled pork, Tuscan cabbage (or carvolo pero), and succotash. The portions at Ford's are ridiculous. I was presented with a heaping plate of meat and veggies. I found the brisket flavorful, but a little over done. I was expecting slices of tender, juicy brisket. I was a little disappointed. Even with the addition of the spicy barbecue sauce, it left much to be desired. However, the pulled pork more than made up for the lackluster brisket. The pork was tender and packed with flavor. It was moist and succulent. Everything you expect to find in pulled pork. I could see bits of onion and red bell pepper sprinkled throughout the delicious meat. Mmmm! For my side dishes, I selected the Tuscan cabbage and succotash. The cabbage was very similar to kale in appearance. The greens appeared slow cooked with onions and other spices. They were good, but I did not enjoy the texture of the greens. They were still a little too crunchy for my taste. Sadly, most of them remained on my plate. However, the succotash was AWESOME. This version of succotash included, fresh corn, fennel, onion, and black-eyed peas. In general, I REALLY dislike black-eyed peas. As a girl with Southern roots, black-eyed peas occasionally found their way to the family dinner table. One of the few constants in my culinary dislikes is my loathing of black-eyed peas. I've never had them and enjoyed them...that's no longer the case. I enjoyed them very much as a part of the succotash. They were not the focus. Instead they served the role of a minor, yet important supporting character. So, while Ford's didn't convert me, I'm starting to come around. The dish was absolutely delicious and I enjoyed every bit of it.

Again, I'm enjoying the wonderful restaurants in and around Culver City. Ford's Filling Station is certainly becoming one of my favorites.

Ford's Filling Station
http://www.fordsfillingstation.net/

No comments: