LA woman on a quest to eat her way through Los Angeles

Friday, May 23, 2008

Got Milk? Blogger Event at MILK



It's official, I'm a food blogger! On Monday, I attended an event at MILK. The wonderful folks at Got Milk? (a wonderful non-profit organization based in California that promotes the consumption and use of milk) partnered with Chef Bret Thompson of the 15-month old MILK to share a few of his delightful treats. This partnership was a first for both parties, as well as the first time Got Milk? hosted a blogger event!

First of all, MILK is totally cute. It's reminiscent of an old time ice cream shoppe. Upon entering, you are greeted by an overabundance of delicious treats in, around, and atop of the cases.


That day, Chef Thompson showcased a number of his special treats for us to enjoy.

Milky Way Malt-One of the servers noted that this treat was one of the customer favorites. The look of the malt resembled cookies and cream ice cream. The cup lined with streams of gooey chocolate and caramel sauces. Nestled on top of the malt was a small dollop of whipped cream, sprinkled with tiny malted chocolate balls. Full disclosure, I'm not a huge chocolate hound. I prefer fruity to chocolate. However, even I have to admit that this was a sinfully delicious malt.

Raspberry-Corn Muffin-I had my doubts about this. I had a little bit of a block when it came to the creamed corn and the raspberry. After one bite of the moist muffin, with the creamy corn center and raspberry jam at the bottom, I became a believer. It was quite yummy and one of my favs of the night.

Ice-blended MILK green tea-Ok, one word...YUMMERS! I love green tea. LOVE it! The drink was nice and smooth. The green tea flavor was ever so subtle. To top it off, there was a nice dollop of whipped cream. This was one of my favorites of the night. I think I had at least three of them.

Arroz con leche-This was my least favorite of the night. It was basically a tiny ice cream sandwich. The texture of the rice cookie and the ice cream did not work for me at all. First of all, they were both a bit hard. Although, I think the problem had more to do with the temperature than the actual execution of the dessert. Still, not a favorite.

Berry tres leches-I LOVE tres leches cake. However, if you've ever had/made one, you know most cakes are rather dense. However, Chef Thompson uses a sponge cake. The cake was layered with two types of cake. One infused with blueberry used as a soaking liquid and another that was vanilla. Between the layers was a deliciously light custard. The cake was topped with whipped cream and fresh berries. This cake was light, moist, and beyond delicious. Many attendees selected this cake as a definite favorite of the night, and I wholeheartedly agree.

Banana dulce de leche ice cream dipped in butterscotch and almonds- Whew, that was a mouthful! Again, not to sound repetitive, but I LOVE dulce de leche. This wonderful ice cream arrived on cute little cones. The cones were then dipped in butterscotch and covered with almonds. The ice cream had an intense banana flavor that I really enjoyed. Again, dulce de leche, bananas, butterscotch, and almonds...all things I love. However, it was a bit much for me. It was a little too sweet. After so many desserts, it was difficult to finish it. Dessert overload?!? I never thought I would see the day.



Last, but certainly not least, the Butternut squash soup-The only thing, besides a great deal of water, that saved me from collapsing into a sugar-induced coma right in the middle of MILK was this soup. Chef Thompson felt it was important to include a savory dish to the mix. I'm so glad he did. The soup, served in a champagne glass, was my hands down favorite of the night. It was perfect! It was creamy, silky smooth, and perfectly seasoned. It was further topped off by a bit of cream fraiche and spiced pepitas. So, the creaminess of the soup was truly enhanced by the nice crunch of the toasted seeds.

Now, I know that in addition to the yummy sweet treats available at MILK, I can enjoy the great food offered there as well. Something, I plan to do very soon. Why you may ask? Um guess, who won the grand raffle prize? Me, that's who! I received a pail with a stuffed cow, Got Milk? t-shirt and travel mug, chocolate chip cookies and cranberry-pumpkin walnut bread from MILK (which my co-workers enjoyed), AND a $50gift card from MILK. I never win anything, so I was so geeked!



Also, since Chef Thompson was nice enough to share, I will post some of the recipes next week. But, if you can't wait, PLEASE stop by for a visit. MILK is located at 7290 Beverly Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90046,(323) 939-6455.

No comments: