LA woman on a quest to eat her way through Los Angeles

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Fine Dining in Atlanta


Well, I'm returning from a weeklong trip down South. I was in Atlanta this past weekend, and I made a point of going to Restaurant Eugene. Once my trip to Atlanta was planned, I had to research restaurants. Restaurant Eugene was atop several lists as the best restaurant in Atlanta. So, I made a reservation for myself and several friends for Friday night. Then, I received confirmation. Chef Linton Hopkins was on Iron Chef. While, he lost to my fav Chef Morimoto, his dishes looked absolutely delicious. I was really excited!

Of course, my friends and I got lost on our way to the restaurant. Mind you, we had directions. And no, we had not had one sip of alcohol at that point. But, I tell you. One wrong turn can do you in. We finally made it. Ok, who opened the door for us as we walked into the restaurant...um, Chef Hopkins. How cool is that! He was super friendly and welcoming. That really made the night for me. Of course, I'm the only idiot who is totally starstruck by chefs. Seriously, I saw Hubert Keller walking through Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas last year and was over the top excited. I'm crazy, I know.

Anyway, the restaurant is really beautiful. Simple, earth tones, lovely. Since we were going to a wine bar for drinks after dinner, we all skipped wine and I ordered an entree and dessert. For my entree, I had halibut, with fried coleslaw. The halibut had a perfectly browned, crispy crust. The fish was delicate, flaky, and buttery. Perfectly cooked and delicious. Now, on to the coleslaw. I have never heard of nor imagined fried coleslaw. But, I will say it was quite tasty. It was fashioned in a stack, with fried crust. Also, to my delight, the coleslaw stack included lobster. Mmmm. It was finished off with shrimp and shaved fennel on top. It was unique. I really enjoyed the crunchiness of the dish. The veggies were crunchy and fresh. The seafood was nicely cooked. The dressing was also light, albeit a bit too vinegary for my taste. Still, I loved the concept. Sadly my dessert, carrot cake with butter pecan ice cream, was lackluster. The carrot cake was carrot cake. Nothing inventive or exciting about it. However, I will note that the ice cream was really good. Not too sweet, creamy and smooth. I find many places have ice cream that is too icy...if that makes sense. So, while delicious, it too was just...good ice cream. Nothing special.

All in all, it was pretty darn good. One of the better fish dishes I've had. Sadly, the dessert was a miss for me. However, the service was spectacular. Our waiter was friendly and very attentive. Also, a couple of managers came around to check on us. Oh, yes, we were welcomed by the chef. That's always adds to the experience. Most of all, it was a great meal because of the conversation and laughter my friends and I shared over our meals.

No comments: