LA woman on a quest to eat her way through Los Angeles

Friday, September 7, 2007

FLASHBACK: Wine Cask

One of the reasons I started this blog was to maintain a record of my culinary experiences. Since I visited a few restaurants prior to the start of this blog, the flashback reviews will be a challenge. I blame it on turning 30 and therefore losing my memory. Initially, I planned to write my flashback posts in order. However, this week's LA Times Food Section focused on Santa Barbara. I was inspired to write about my experiences there last month. I will try my very best to remember the highlights.


My solo trip to Santa Barbara was my reward for surviving the very stressful process of planning my family reunion. After months of running around and taking care of logistics, followed by a weekend of togetherness and love, I wanted to be alone. So, I booked a trip to Santa Barbara. Took the train, stayed at a charming B&B, and looked forward to a weekend of peace and quiet. Ahhh.

I thoroughly researched the restaurants in Santa Barbara prior to my trip. I decided on three resturants, one for lunch and two for dinner. Initially, Wine Cask was not one of my choices. However, it was noted as being one of the best restaurants in SB on several lists. How could I pass it up?

The restaurant was located a block off of State street and about seven blocks from the B&B. As I turned to enter the path to the restaurant, I entered this lovely courtyard. I was immediately transported to another place and time. As I walked along the path to the restaurant, I was no longer in Santa Barbara. Now, I was in a small Spanish town. It was absolutely peaceful and lovely. Serene. A perfect introduction of sorts.

The decor was simple, yet lovely. I settled in instantly. Ready to enjoy my meal. I started with the Vodka Infused Potato Soup. Ok, let me just say that I'm in love with this soup. No words can adequately convey my feelings about this soup. I just never wanted to finish it. Yes, I wanted a neverending bowl of this soup. The potato soup also had a potato gaufrette (thin waffle wafer), caviar and chive Mmmm. The soup was as smooth as silk. The perfect consistency. The flavor of the soup was unlike any potato soup I had ever tasted. The gaufrette and caviar were wonderful additions. The soup on it's own was strong enough. However, the added texture was a welcome treat.

I followed my superb soup with the Muscovy Duck Confit with dried cherry and sage stuffing with foie gras, wild arugula and cherry spiked duck jus. Whew. I know, that's a mouthful. In case some are unfamiliar with confit, it is a preparation in which food is preserved and cooked in it's own fat. The duck was absolutely succulent. Juicy and cooked to perfection. Outside of Chinese Duck (which is my favorite), this was by far the best duck I've had. The fat was rendered correctly and for that I was elated. When it's not, it can really spoil the experience. The jus. Omigoodness, the jus. It was marvelous. Simply delicious. The stuffing was interesting. It did contain my favorite element...a slighty crunchy crust. The bread was cut into little bite-size squares. The sage was a little strong, but the sweetness of the dried cherry made up for it. I love the juxtaposition of sweet and salty in food. It's just so interesting. As I am not a fan of arugula, it remained largely untouched. I took a small bite, and even I will admit it was pretty good. I enjoyed it far more when prepared this way than uncooked in salads. Since I was in Santa Barbara it was of utmost importance to enjoy a glass of wine with my meal. Frankly, I enjoyed quite a few glasses of wine that weekend. Hey, I say when in Rome.... I believe it was a nice Pinot Noir. I really can't remember. I do know that I am now instituting a note taking element to my excursions. I don't want to forget anything. I was stuffed after my soup and entree, so dessert was not an option. There was a creme brulee on the menu. Although it is my favorite dessert, I must admit that a creme brulee at a good restaurant is a creme brulee. The white chocolate bread pudding sounded delicious. But seriously, I could not eat another bite.

I had a truly enjoyable dining experience at Wine Cask. I plan to dine there the next time I'm in Santa Barbara. When I go back, I will remember to save room for dessert.

No comments: