LA woman on a quest to eat her way through Los Angeles

Saturday, September 15, 2007

FLASHBACK: Epiphany

I was under the weather this past week, so blogging was not at the top of my list of "things to do." However, I'm all better and my fingers are itching to make up for lost time. After I post my experience at Epiphany, I will have one flashback left. After that, expect more detailed accounts of my dining experiences.
I dined at Epiphany on my first night in Santa Barbara. Again, after extensive research, I decided that I had to dine at Epiphany. Not only were the reviews great, but the menu looked amazing.


The B&B was only three blocks away from the restaurant, so I enjoyed a lovely stroll. Since I was a bit early, I stopped in at the bar to enjoy a pre-dinner cocktail--a Grey Goose Pear martini. Mmmm.

I decided on an entree after reviewing the menu online. I decided to have three courses. I ordered a glass of Pinot and looked over the menu. Soon, I was presented with an amuse bouche of a baked baby eggplant chip topped with goat cheese and a thin slice of grape tomato. That little morsel served as the perfect first bite. Eggplant and goat cheese have really distinctive flavors. Initially, I was unsure of the pairing. However, it was really nice. I actually wished there was a second bite. But, that was it. I decided to focus on my three courses.

I ordered a salad...which was unusual for me at a fine dining establishment. Salads are sort of a side show attraction at a fine dining establishment. It's sooooo not about the salad. But, I really wanted a salad. So, hey, I ordered a salad. I selected the Apple Bibb Salad. It consisted of a wedge of fresh Bibb lettuce. Bibb lettuce is a good place to start with a salad. It's not as common as romaine. It's not bitter like arugala, radicchio, or frisee. Bibb is buttery and tender. Highly enjoyable. It was accompanied by thin julienned apple, spiced pecans, and a blue cheese vinaigrette. It was a tasty salad. The sweetness and tartness of the apple paired well with the lettuce. The spiced pecans provided the right amount of spiciness and crunch. But, that was not the best part. The blue cheese vinaigrette was amazing. The blue cheese was not overpowering. I believe it was blended with balsamic vinegar. The combination was a revelation--if, a salad dressing can be described in that way. It was just so good. It was so good, I sat there trying to devise a way to replicate it. It was just that tasty.

For my entree, I selected the Crispy Skin Roasted Duck with foie gras risotto. The star of this entree was the risotto. It was creamy, but not runny. It was absolutely delicious. The only negative thing I could say about the risotto is that I wish there was more on my plate. The portion was minuscule. Sadly, I cannot applaud the duck. The skin was not as crispy as I anticipated. Again, I love Chinese duck. THAT is crispy skin. This, not so much. Also, the worse duck sin was committed. The fat was not rendered completely. Gross. It completely took away from any pleasant elements. Of course, there was a healthy serving of duck. Bleech.

So, because of my disappointment with the duck, I decided to seek refuge in an oldie, but goodie for dessert...Creme Brulee. For those who know me, that might not sound like a good idea. I have left many a restaurant complaining that their rendition of creme brulee was not indeed creme brulee, but pudding. So, there was a chance, that I would leave mad. But, I had faith. I knew they would make it up to me. The creme brulee was custard, not pudding. So, the meal ended on a happy note.

While, Epiphany was a bit of a disappointment, I cannot deny the highlights of the evening. Also, the staff was attentive and accommodating. However, a fantastic salad and side dish does not equal a good review. But, I am open to giving them a second chance. Next time, I will give the Limo Ride (their name for their tasting menu) a try.

http://www.epiphanysb.com/

No comments: