LA woman on a quest to eat her way through Los Angeles

Monday, November 3, 2008

Sunday Brunch at Jar

I love Jar. Haven't been back since my dinner last year. Memorable meal. Well, I've heard great things about their Sunday brunch. So, one Sunday after church, I decided to go and check it out. As usual, I checked out the menu beforehand. I eyed a couple of items, namely the lobster benedict and the Edy's chilaquiles. Oh, and I had fond memories of the delicious char sui pork. I noticed that they offered it as a side dish during brunch. So, I had a lot to consider.

It was a last minute decision, so I did not have reservations. But, I called ahead and they were very accommodating. As I walked in, the first thing I noticed was that the feel of the place was a little different than my first visit. While, my dinner was quiet and enjoyable, the place was full and bustling.

The waiter welcomed me with a delicious plate of sticky bread. Nice! It was covered with a gooey icing and sprinkled with nuts. It was very hard to resist. It was delicious and harkened to cozy brunch at home, not a restaurant.

After going back and forth about what I was in the mood for, I finally settled on the chilaquiles. I love chilaquiles. Until recently, I would have them about once a week for breakfast. Just imagine crispy tortillas, covered with a delicious chile sauce and cheese. Again, pretty hard to resist. Jar's tortilla chips were thick and fried hard. Definitely a good choice. This allowed for a great crunch even after the addition of the sauce. The chile sauce initially was a nice mild flavor. However, there was a creeping heat. I love the presence of heat without killing my taste buds. The addition of juicy, flavorful carnitas and a dollop of cooling crème fraiche further elevated the dish. As with all Jar entrees, the portion was considerable. While, I attempted to devour every delicious bit of it, I was unable to finish the dish.

I thoroughly enjoyed my brunch at Jar. While the food was fantastic, the price left me elated! It was a delicious, filling, and reasonably priced meal. I may have to make it a regular Sunday outing.

No comments: